Sunday, May 30, 2004

The Commandant

if Fear had a face, he would look like this:



My most memorable experience of frightening yet inspiring man was during practices for the Pass and Review ceremonies. it was the moment after we finished parading in front of the honored guests and unit sponsors (some young ladies from st. paul paranaque at that time). as commanding officer of the first platoon of the first company of the first battalion, i was marching in front of everybody, thus i had no way of seeing that my men behind me were marching without cadence. then out of nowhere, his voice amplified ten fold by the portable sound system, he shouts: "brillantes! use your f**king head!!!" and the echo bounced from every corner of the field to the surrounding buildings and i bet, the buildings across the road.

total strangers must've heard this cry and might have told themselves that this brillantes fellow must be a dumb guy or something. it was humiliating, but certainly not the most humiliating thing that ever happened to me. but it was a sobering experience, he hurt my pride you see and that was a big deal for me. but with the benefit of hindsight, i've appreciated the benefits he and corps have bestowed upon me. they've turned a whimpy, scrawny nerd into a formidable, ever more disciplined, confident, battle hardened, deadly, and cunning nerd!

No comments: