Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Poor Paul VI

I was really surprised and greatly disappointed when Fr. Z made a post mocking Pope Paul VI’s Apostolic Constitution Missale Romanum. While highlighting that it was "the highest form of Church document," he didn't treat it that way. I managed to restrain myself from acting on the sorely strong temptation to comment harshly against his imprudent choice to malign Paul VI, and now, I'm happy to note, that the good father deleted the offending material from the aformentioned post.

Anyway, I find it curious that while there is a great number of traditionalists in the Church who point out Paul VI's clear plan for trying to destroy the Church from within by destroying the Latin Mass, they seem to ignore how the Pope unpopularly held on to traditional teaching regarding sex in his encyclical Humanae Vitae. I guess heretics can be choosy with the things they wanna change. Right? Or did he perhaps use it as a smokescreen to keep his orthodox credentials while he did away with the Mass? I guess you can't expect heretics to be consistent. Poor Pope Paul, strong enough to destroy the Mass but unable, it seems, to destroy mere Christian sexual morality.

No comments: