Sunday, June 27, 2004

The Effects of Sleep Deprivation on Brain and Behavior

While some people may like to believe that they can train their bodies to not require as much sleep as they once did this belief is false (1). Sleep is needed to regenerate certain parts of the body, especially the brain, so that it may continue to function optimally. After periods of extended wakefulness or reduced sleep neurons may begin to malfunction, visibly effecting a person's behavior.

so true and relevant for me yesterday. i went to take a test in the morning but i was too sleepy to answer the battery of tests that they had me take. or rather, my main objective then was to finish the test and go home so that i could finally hug my pillow in bed and feel its softness as i begin to dream.

perhaps i could also attribute to my lack of sleep the little accident i had after the test. i was already on my way home as i perchanced upon a jeepney that wasn't full yet, so i decided to run after the moving jeepney and jump to get a ride. i've done this many times before but this time, however, i didn't count on my dress shoes to be so slippery such that i almost slipped and fell off. it was good that i held on tight to the railing and one of the passengers grabbed on to my hand and pulled me in. in the struggle however, i injured my wrist. somehow, a part of the jeepney over the railing was sharp enough to cut me. it wasn't serious though, but it was in the area where suicidal people cut their wrists. i wasn't thinking straight then, i had the sensation similar to that of being drunk. anyway, i had a short nap, and now i'm back depriving myself of sleep.

No comments: